Saturday, December 19, 2009

Tuning up



Lori from San Vicente, Dec. 8th,2009
delayed due to security issues.

Tuning up is hard to do.
It's exciting to start another week of sewing classes but, I sure have my work cut out for me. During the very first day of classes, several of the students express problems they are having with their "at home" sewing machines. (Five of my students have purchased used or been given machines.) The next day, 4 students arrive with their machines in tow hoping that they can be repaired. So, after two sewing classes filling 7 1/2 hours of the day, my evening is filled with what I call "tweaking". I bring no special mechanical skill to sewing machine repair except that which necessity has forced upon me during 40+ years of sewing. Still, as there is no machine repair place or person in town, I'll give it a go. Claudia, the student pictured above, brought her machine to see what I could do.

With two hours of "tweaking",
  1. it was discovered that she had bought the wrong bobbin, so it was replaced with the correct one,
  2. the needle in the machine was so blunt, it wouldn't prick your finger let alone the fabric, so the needle was replaced,
  3. the tension was adjusted,
  4. zig-zag was repaired.

and success was accomplished!!!!!!!! on ONE machine. Only 3 more to go. Well by the end of two evenings, 3 or the 4 machines were in working order. The 4th one will require replacement and repair beyond my abilities.

Beginning students tend to be pretty hard on sewing machines. So, even the machines that are used in the class continually require cleaning, oiling, and repair. It's not exactly what I love doing, but sure is a blessing to my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment