Monday, February 8, 2010

Micro Enterprise Launched, Jan. 2010, by Lori in San Vicente, Mexico



Besides the morning and afternoon sewing classes this week, I've been working with two women to launch their own small business. It's been great to see these ladies get so excited about moving to a new sewing skill level. Yolanda (pictured) and Erica were highly motivated when I told them that I had an order for 50 lined tote bags with a window in the front for a photo. I had designed the bag and created patterns for them. Neither woman has a sewing machine. So, they would cut the fabric and lining while at home in the evening and then return during the day to sew the purses. Yolanda arrived one day to tell me that her husband had even prepared dinner the night before so that she could continue working. "You see", she explained, "My husband doesn't really know how to cook much, so we had breakfast for dinner as the only food he knows how to fix is eggs". "still, I was very blessed that he is supportive of me." Yolanda's husband is a farm worker who earns about 800 pesos a week, the equivalent of about $64 US dollars. Not much to support a family of four. By the end of the week, Yolanda had sewn 35 bags, and made enough to put some money aside toward her own sewing machine and some basic tools and still add some funds to the family coffer.

If you are interested in supporting these women in their new small business, let me know. These photo purses as well as other products will be available for purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment