Friday, May 11, 2012

Scarry Night Visitor... 11May

OK, so I am doing the dishes in our little casita in San Vicente. It's dark outside, and Lori is off at a church women's thing. I hear this 'noise' behind me, and find this bug on my floor... which I had accidentally stepped on, and it was goo-ing out. With spoons, I put it in a jar, and begin looking... OMG, is this the 'dreaded' 'Niño de la Tierra' we've heard so much about? Local legend has it that they can inflict a venomous bite that will kill you in 12 hours. What? I just did the whole house perimeter in bug spray yesterday... you know, the Mex stuff that would be illegal in the US... Ahhh! Invaded by a deadly visitor! And... our internet connect was down for a few days... SO, we started a little more aggressive watch of the floor when getting up tot eh rest room in the middle of the night... BUT WAIT! Finally able to research... it's actually named in English the 'Jerusalem Cricket'(Stenopelmatus) even though it's not a cricket, nor does it come from Jerusalem... but every (authoritative) site says it can give a nasty bite that could become infected, it is NOT venomous.... It's called 'Niño de la Tierra' (baby of the Dirt) because it supposedly has the face of a fetal human child... Just another day in Mexico, no?? Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment