Sunday, August 23, 2009

23 Aug Ndola, Zambia from Chris LAST words

23 Aug

LAST (six, no??)

OK, it's been a busy week.

I am on-track to have the basic framework of an HIV AIDS Educationa and Prevention (HAEP)Program drafted for Seeds of Hope by my departure in a few short weeks. No small thing, and something I am proud of.

This has been really, really hard. I have been in Zambia for just over a month, and my Bemba is limited to thanks, greetings and so-longs. It has been very difficult to 'push' a quick-learn ramp-up to the level of working a Participatory Development approach with the Zambian team for the HAEP.

Participatory Development is something most in the West are not familiar with. The 'total quality management' process is the closest thing. Rather than walk in with a plan and program that people must impliment, we start around a table with a blank paper, and build it together from there.

Tough to do on short time-lines.

The real compliment came Friday. Two of the Zambians kind-of cornered me, "you and your wife need to move here and work with us... please!!!"

High-level compliment.

OK, Prayer requests:
<> Halleigh, the 4-yr old daughter of the family I'm staying with has been running fevers and diagnosed (pos smear) for malaria and a significant skin fungal infection. She is incredibly miserable right now: PLEASE pray for healing and comfort.
<> Favor with the gov't officials I will be meeting with this week, and for the healthcare team in finding a good base of materials to use in the HAEP program.
<> I'm over the 1 month point of being here, and yes, some home-sick moments
<> Favor at the Zambian Visa office this week (I have to renew)
<>For continued strength and health for my body. So far, just a few bumps. Pray that I don't 'weary in well-doing': gooping up with DEET twice a day gets old. (the part I hate is to take a good sponge-bath, feel clean for 45 seconds, then goop up with DEET...)
<> Pray for Lori and our families... lots going on while I'm here...

thanks for hanging

your brother,

Chris

1 comment:

  1. Chris, I am a friend of your wife's....I will keep your friend's daughter in my prayers and send out a prayer request to my friends...In God's name she will be healed and will maintain a happy healthy life..I truely believe in this. Charitye Pauley

    ReplyDelete