Thursday, March 25, 2010

Seeing to read. Feb. 2010


Okay, so you can see that I'm a bit behind on the whole blog thing. What I really need is to be able to dictate to someone while I'm multi-tasking and then have them post these. In the meantime, please have patience as I try and get the knack of this. I don't take a computer with me while I'm in Mexico, so it mean blogging once I return and while I'm trying to catch up on lots of other things.

Anyways, the week of health outreaches into the schools finished on a strong note with the teachings and "Carnival of Health" being presented to over 750 children at 6 different school. There are invitations to 3 more schools for the 2011 calendar.

In conjunction with the school outreaches, we were able to troubleshoot reading problems students were having by checking the vision of those that teachers pointed out. Using gospels of John, we had students read John chapter three. Dozens of children received new reading glasses that will surely help with their school work. It's exciting to hear the children reading scripture and seeing the difference in their vision once they are fitted with the correct strength of glasses. I did some translating and also explained to the kids the importance of light while reading (which usually means sitting close to a window during daylight hours) and also how to care for their new glasses. The whole "enough light" issue is complicated by the fact that most classrooms have just two florescent light illuminating the whole room. Not exactly what would be considered enough to ready by.

No comments:

Post a Comment